Simple but Tasty Mushroom Soup
I make my own Greek yogurt every day. This soup is made extra-special by adding a good spoonful of the thick tasty yogurt into each bowl. But you could use cream or crème fraiche – or just eat as it is.
We like this soup served with a soft roll – somehow it seems to go with the delicate taste of mushrooms.
300-400g mushrooms – a mixture of types or wild mushrooms give the best flavour.
2 chopped leeks
2 chopped garlic cloves
Small handful of fresh thyme leaves
½ litre of chicken stock or 1 chicken stock cube dissolved in ½ litre of water
50g butter (I never use margarine these days)
1. Melt the butter in a large pan and gently fry the leeks and garlic until softened.
2. Add the thyme leaves and mushrooms and fry over a higher heat for about 4-5 minutes.
3. Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 10 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat, allow to cool slightly, then blend with a stick blender until smooth.
5. Serve and voila. Add yogurt, crème fraiche or cream as required – see above – to give a luxurious creamy finish.