This is what I call Builders Soup because it’s a hearty and warming meal for those who’ve been out building or working in the fields all day. And I dedicate it in particular to our good friend James who’s just retired from the building profession.
Hearty Builders Soup contains both beef and vegetables and should see any manual worker through the day! This makes a big batch that you can keep a couple of days or freeze – or have for a winter party.
3lbs beef stewing steak on the bone, or 2lbs off the bone
2 small cans tomato juice
Can chopped tomatoes
Small chopped onion
2 diced celery sticks
Large can of sweet corn
2 medium sliced carrots
1 large or 2 medium diced potatoes
Small pack of frozen lima (or similar) beans
Salt to taste
2 bay leaves
2 tsps Worcester sauce
- Combine the meat, onion, tomato juice and seasonings in a large casserole. Add 2 pints of water
- Bring to the boil and simmer for at least 2 hours.
- Remove meat from the bones if appropriate and skim off excess fat.
- Return meat to the casserole and add vegetables, with a little more water if it’s looking too dry
- Cover and simmer gently for a further hour
And there you have it. Hearty Builders Soup (or casserole if you like!). Good enough for a winter party and sustaining enough for the hungriest of builders!