Carrot and sweet potato soup
This is a lovely smooth, warming vegetable soup. Find some really nice crusty farmhouse bread – or make your own. A small portion makes a great starter for a dinner party, or a large bowlful or two will make a warming winter meal.
Another easy soup, but delicious.
300g carrots, scrubbed or peeled and cut into chunks
500g sweet potatoes, peeled and chunked
2 finely chopped onions
2 crushed garlic cloves (optional – I leave them out)
1 litre of vegetable stock or 1 litre of water & 2 vegetable stock cubes
100ml crème fraiche
1. Place the carrots and sweet potatoes into a large roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil, season and roast at 200 degrees for around 25 minutes, until caramelised and soft.
2. Meanwhile fry the onion in a little olive oil on a medium heat until softened – about 10 minutes.
3. Add the garlic to the pan and stir for around a minute, then add the stock (if using stock cubes, dissolve them in a litre of boiling water first).
4. Allow the roast vegetables to cool a little, then add to the pan with the stock
5. Blend with a stick blender until silky smooth.
6. Add the crème fraiche, check seasoning, and reheat.
7. Serve and swirl with a tablespoon of crème fraiche in each bowl.